LVG Partnership Meeting and Site Visit at Minsi Lake Corridor Greenway
May 12, 9am – 2:15pm
Explore Minsi Lake Corridor Greenway with LVG Partner Northampton County Parks and Recreation to learn about the Minsi Lake Corridor Greenway and Stewardship Plan, while networking with partners in the great outdoors.
9:00am: Park and Meet at West Shore Entrance to Minsi Lake
Coordinates: 40.912401, -75.178506
West Shore Parking Lot just before 49 Blue Mountain Drive, Bangor, PA 18013
- Sherry Acevedo, (Conservation Coordinator, Northampton County Parks and Recreation), will provide an overview of the Minsi Lake Corridor Greenway & Stewardship Plan & its recommendations for natural resource protection, resiliency, outdoor recreation connections, and facility improvements.
- Jim Wilson, (Recreation Specialist Specialist, Northampton County Parks & Rec), will provide an overview of the County’s successful partnerships with PFBC, PGC, Friends of Minsi Lake, LV Audubon Society & others on fish, wildlife & habitat improvement projects throughout the Greenway.
10am-11:45pm North Field Trip
- Totts Gap @ 1494 Totts Gap Rd, Bangor, PA 18013
- Carpool to this address from Minsi Lake for a brief visit. Pull down the long driveway to the former Institute campus, park & gather together for a brief overview of the Totts Gap Conservation Area
- Area highlights: Grassland habitat improvements.
- Eastern Meadowlarks & Bobolinks—grassland species of special concern—breed in the adjacent Totts Gap Meadows & should be seen & heard displaying, singing & nest building.
- Osprey couple have established their nest on the nesting platform tower installed for them in partnership with Med-Ed/FirstEnergy & PGC in 2019.
- Twin Lakes: Located off Tott’s Gap Road. GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 40.939033, Longitude: -75.162787.
- Opportunity to park and walk, exploring trails and related topics.
11:45-12:30pm Lunch & LVG Meeting
- Held at the West Shore Picnic Area at Minsi Lake, or under the Pavilion at Olympic Field at Bear Swamp Park. Bring lunch.
12:30 – 2:15pm South Field Trip
- Bear Swamp and Archery Complex Parking Lot Directions: Lake Minsi Drive
- GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 40.909129 Longitude: -75.182232.
- Topics: History, recreation, conservation improvement plans and ongoing conservation projects at the archery complex & throughout all of Bear Swamp.
- Boardwalk (across the street from Bear Swamp Parking Lot)
Notes: Pack a lunch. Be prepared to walk/drive/carpool during tour. Visit will run from 9am to 2:15pm, approximately, but participants can leave earlier or arrive later if needed. Nametags recommended in order help orient any new LVG partners in attendance. Bear Swamp Boardwalk can be slick & slippery, and many areas may be muddy – appropriate footwear is advised.
We hope to see you and your colleagues there.
To RSVP click the link below: